Update on the New State Budget
Good morning, Pennsylvania library stalwarts!
Three weeks in and there is precious little progress to report on a new state budget. I just posted a new blog update on our homepage highlighting:
- the impact of no state dollars is just beginning to be felt;
- that a moderate House Republican offered a middle-ground budget proposal; and,
- the urgent need to keep library funding on the radar screens of every single Harrisburg decision-maker.
As library advocates, we need to keep up the drumbeat to the greatest degree possible through the Dog Days of this standoff. We cannot stress enough that:
- Libraries ARE part of education;
- Any plan aimed at improving education must include libraries; and,
- After nine years of stagnant and declining budgets, libraries need and deserve increases proportionate with any new money targeted for pre-K, K-12 and higher ed.
Thanks for faithful and ongoing advocacy on behalf of better library services statewide.
Glenn R. Miller
Executive Director, PA Library Assn.
220 Cumberland Parkway, Suite 10
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania 17055