The public libraries are home to special collections that highlight what makes Lancaster County unique.
Connect with LOCAL HISTORY
One library card is valid at all libraries throughout the Library System. Library cards are available free at all local libraries and the Bookmobile. All that is required is a valid form of identification…any of the following will work:
- A valid driver’s license
- A current identification card
- A bill from a utility company of retailer addressed to the person and dated in the last three months
- A tax bill for a Lancaster County property
- Working papers issued to a teenager
- A copy of a current lease or deed for a Lancaster County
- Checks with a pre-printed Lancaster County address
- Valid Lancaster County college / University ID
For children under 14, a parent or guardian signature is required. In addition to the standard type card that fits in your wallet, we also offer a key-ring card that will help ensure that your library card is always at your fingertips.
Most borrowed materials may be returned at any local library, regardless of where the materials were checked out.
Click here for a library card application. Print it out and complete the information. Take the completed form to your local library to obtain your library card!
Chasquido aquÃ para el uso de tarjeta de biblioteca. Impramalo y complete la informacion. ¡Tome la formulario completada a su biblioteca local para obtener su tarjeta de biblioteca!
For more information about Library Cards, Borrowing & Return Information, click here.
Information on eligibility for a library card can be found here.
In addition to renewing your books in person at your local library, you may call your local library or renew your books and other materials by telephone (717-394-1721) or online.
Library System of Lancaster County 24-Hour Telephone Renewal Service
To renew materials or get more details on your library account, dial 717-394-1721, then press the following keys:
- Press 1 to renew materials.
- Enter your 14-digit barcode number for individual items. For all materials on your record, Press #. If the item is overdue, appropriate fines will be attached to your record. Items will be due two weeks from today’s date.
- NOTE: Not all items can be renewed with the Telephone Renewal System. Some reasons an item may not be renewed are: another borrower has requested the item; that type of material is not eligible for renewal; you already renewed the item once; or, because of overdue fines on your record.
- When this service is unavailable, items must be brought to your local library for renewal. Fines will be charged for overdue material.
- Press 2 to see your checked out items
- Press 3 for holds ready for pickup
- Press 4 for fines you owe
- Press * to return to the main menu
If you are unable to renew your items, please call your local library.
For more information on library procedure, consult Library Circulation Policies.
For information about online renewal of material, visit our online renewal help section of our catalog.
You may download these items by visiting our OverDrive platform.
Check out videos to help you download items from OverDrive: OverDrive Download Help
Our public libraries have special book drop boxes located near the entrance to their buildings. Simply drop your items in these boxes, which are emptied by library staff. All items are then checked in when the library opens.
The public libraries in Lancaster County hold book sales throughout the year, so your donations help to increase their sale inventory. Please be sure to donate items that are in good condition that is a condition that you would consider buying. Please check with your local library to find out their procedures for collecting these donations.